Ethiopia to Provide Universal Access to Electricity by 2025

Ethiopian-National-Electrification-ProgramMarch 27, 2019 (Ezega.com) -- Ethiopia has launched an ambitious program of universal access to electricity by 2025, according to ENA report.

Dubed National Electrification Program (NEP), the project aims to provide electricity to all across the country.

The current launch is a follow up to the National Electrification Program (NEP) that was first launched 2017.

The National Electrification Program 2.0 (NEP 2.0) aims to realize universal access to electricity by 2025.

The program aims to reach 65 percent of the total population through on-grid electrification, while the remaining 35 percent through off-grid service provision.

The NEP 2.0 is expected to cost six million US dollars in direct investment and technical assistance, according to the report.

Dr. Seleshi Bekele, Minister of Water, Irrigation and Energy, said that the NEP 2.0 program will bring together all stakeholders and development partners to achieve a full-fledged integrated electrification.

According to Seleshi, the vision is to provide timely, adequate, affordable and reliable electricity access to all.

According to the report, so far, Ethiopia has connected 44 percent of the population to electricity sources - 33 percent to on-grid electrification, and 11 percent to off-grid service provision.

Dr. Seleshi Bekele also said “World bank is committed and it continue its financial and technical assistance for the implementation of the National Electrification Program 2.0. in the energy sector including distribution, transmission and generation activities.”

Source: ENA


  Print


Contact News Editor

Name :
Email :
Phone :
Message :
ezega
Enter text shown in the above image :






You may also like...