By Staff Reporter
October 8, 2019 (Ezega.com) -- At least five people were killed, and four others wounded in the ongoing attacks by undisclosed armed groups against civilians in Ataye town of north Shoa in Amhara regional state, eyewitnesses told Ezega
The latest attack, which began last Saturday, occurred after members of the national defense forces and regional security forces had been deployed in the town to counter the attacks.
Tefera Wendemagegn, administrator of the Northern Shoa, confirmed to the media the killing of five people and wounding of four others and explained his administration’s readiness to defend the people from similar attacks.
“There would be no more attacks as we have adequate military force to abort further assault,” Tefera said. “The security problem in the town and surrounding areas is easing,” he claimed.
The administrator disclosed that some members of the attacking group were apprehended without mentioning their identity and the group they belong to.
The eyewitnesses further said gunshots are being heard in the town and nearby districts, including in Minjar and Shenkora as well as Efrata and Gidim districts, subjecting residents to tensions and forcing them to stay at home.
Amhara State officials reportedly blamed members of the Oromo Liberation Front (OLF) for the unfolding attacks in Ataye and surrounding towns. OLF on its part denied the accusation and said it does not even have armed forces in the area.
The regional government had accused members of the OLF of carrying out similar attacks in April this year in Ataye and surrounding towns.
According to eyewitnesses, the recent security problem started after an armed individual had refused to lay down arms as members of security forces of the region ordered him to do so. The suspect was shot dead before he reacted.
The individual was said to have been armed with three bombs, one Kalashnikov and walking at places which are under the control of the command post which was deployed after armed groups claimed lives of several people in April this year.
According to the administrators, planned attack that was supposed to be carried out on Tuesday October 8, 2019, against residents of Majete town was foiled.
He said the town administration has handed over the suspects involved in the April attack to the Oromia administration of Ethiopia.
Join us on social media:
Like Ezega.com on Facebook and get Ethiopian News updates regularly.
Get latest Ethiopian News by following us on twitter @Ezega_Official.
Follow Ezega on LinkedIn for Jobs in Ethiopia and Ethiopian News Today.