By Staff Reporter
July 24, 2020 (Ezega.com) -- At least 13 people were killed and several others wounded in clashes between ethnic Konso and Ale over land ownership right in Southern Ethiopia.
Peace and Security Bureau head of the Konso zone Hassen Wellano confirmed the death of 11 people due to the ethnic skirmishes which continue to spread from bordering areas of the two ethnic groups.
Eyewitnesses in the Konso cluster told DW Amharic Service that the ethnic clashes continue and people are dying in Korkura locality at a place called Kelango where several houses also are burned.
According to the eyewitnesses, 13 people were killed, including four in Megoya, one in Golmele, and five in Fogera localities. “There are also several people who were heavily wounded in the conflict.”
Hassen said the ethnic clashes have spread to neighboring localities making the situation difficult to control. “All houses in two villages were fully burned down,” he added.
More than one thousand five hundred people were uprooted due to the conflict, which is more serious than the previous ethnic clashes, he stated.
Members of the country’s defense force have been deployed to control the conflict. The head claimed the involvement of a third party to initiate the conflict. He said conflict is seemingly occurring in a prearranged manner.
“Similar conflicts occurred but faded away in less than two days. We doubted the presence of other forces that are exacerbating the situation,” Hassen said.
The South Nations Nationalities and People State and its Security Bureau commented nothing about the conflict though it has been there since late last week.
Critics say the central government provides minimum attention to those kinds of conflicts occurring in the southern part of the country where 56 nations and nationalities live together.
Meanwhile, Ethiopia has reported 409 new COVID-19 cases that take the total tally to 11,933.
The cases have been identified from 6,898 laboratory tests conducted over the last twenty-four hours, the Ministry of Health disclosed on Thursday.
It is also stated that nine more patients have passed away from the disease, taking the country’s death toll to 197.
The Health Minister, Dr. Lia Tadesse has tweeted that 5,645patients who were tested positive for COVID-19 have recovered, including 139 in the previous 24 hours.
Ethiopia has now reported more than 6,089 infections out of which 65 patients are in severe health condition taking treatments in Intensive care units.
The country has so far conducted 357,058 laboratory tests over the last few months since the first announcement of cases in March 2020.
Join us on social media:
Like Ezega.com on Facebook and get Ethiopian News updates regularly.
Get the latest Ethiopia News by following us on twitter @Ezega_Official.
Follow Ezega on LinkedIn for Ethiopia Jobs and Ethiopian News Today.