Tigray Regional Council Dismisses HoF Warning as “Unconstitutional”

By Staff Reporter

Tigray-Region-CouncilAugust 4, 2020 (Ezega.com) -- The Tigray regional council dismissed warning from the House of Federation as “unconstitutional” as tensions between the governing party of Tigray and Ethiopian ruling party escalate over election matters.

In response to HoF’s recent letter demanding the Tigray region defer planned election, the council said HoF is not authorized to dispatch letter and meddle in the region’s pre-election activities.

Speaker of the Tigray regional council Raphael Sherif said HoF has violated the very principles of the constitution and stood against the sovereign powers and rights of the Ethiopian nations, nationalities, and people.

Earlier this year, the National Electoral Board of Ethiopia (NEBE) announced that it will not be able to hold this year's general elections due to a state of emergency the nation declared to contain the spread of COVID-19.

The House of Peoples Representatives and House of Federation approved NEBE’s proposal and postponed the elections until the pandemic is deemed no more threat to the health of the Ethiopian public.

The Tigray council recalled its rejection of HoF’s resolution to extend the terms of regional councils. “The resolution impinges on the federal system of the country.”

In a letter addressed to the council, HoF had called the region’s move to enact an election code of conduct and establish electoral commission as “unconstitutional” and warned for legal measures to defend the constitution.

“The council’s decisions to enact election code of conduct and establish electoral commission were made based on article 13, 39, and 52 of the constitution,” the speaker claimed.  

According to the speaker, the letter does not represent the decision of the House of Federation which is in recess.

The speaker further said the planned regional election is not to meet personal interests but to be conducted based on the constitution of the region.

The country has so far conducted nearly half a million laboratory tests against COVID-19 and reported total infections of 19,877.

With seven fatalities on Tuesday, the country’s COVID-19 related death toll has risen to 343 with 8240 total recoveries.

In a press conference on Tuesday, Minister of Health Dr. Lia Tadesse said the pandemic is rapidly spreading among the community and that called for mass testing against the virus.

The campaign will not be effective without the active participation of the general public, the Minister said, calling all stakeholders to join hands against the pandemic which is rapidly spreading among the community.

She called for augmentation of isolation and treatment facilities in all districts of the country as the transmission of the virus is drastically rising in all parts of the nation.

The Minister urged the public to get tested and adhere to precautions by washing their hands, wearing masks, and keeping safe distances as per the precautions set by the government for the successfulness of the campaign to curtail the spread of coronavirus in the country.

_____________________________
Join us on social media:
Like Ezega.com on Facebook and get Ethiopian News updates regularly.
Get the latest Ethiopia News by following us on twitter @Ezega_Official.
Follow Ezega on LinkedIn for Ethiopia Jobs and Ethiopian News Today.

Ezega

  Print





Contact News Editor

Name :
Email :
Phone :
Message :
ezega
Enter text shown in the above image :






You may also like...