By Staff Reporter
September 26, 2020 (Ezega.com) -- At least twenty people were shot dead in another round of massacre by an unidentified armed group in Metekel zone of Ethiopia’s Benishangul Gumuz regional state, officials have said.
The killings in Dengez locality in Dangur district in the volatile western Ethiopia took place around midnight and none of the attackers were apprehended, administrator of the Dengez locality Demelew Bengez told local media.
At least 89 ethnic Amhara, Agew and Shinasha people were killed by alleged ethnic Gumuz militiamen two weeks ago in extended attacks in Wenbera and Bulen district of the same regional state.
The National Movement of Amhara (NAMA) in a report said at least 160 innocent people were killed by the armed men who demanded those ethnic groups to leave the areas.
The opposition party further also accused some members of the regional government involving in what it called “arranged attacks.” starting from September 4, 2020.
The previous attacks were carried out in three localities of Wenbera and Bulen districts, Metekel Zone, by a militiamen composed of ethnic Gumuz which comprise about 34 percent of the population in Bulen.
Authorities of the federal government including Deputy Prime Minister Demeke Mekonnen, Minister of Peace Muferiat Kamil as well as army generals and police commissioner paid a visit and confirmed to the families of the victims that similar attacks will not occur and the perpetrators will be brought to justice.
Major General Mohammed Tessema had said significant members of the armed men were killed, wounded or surrendered as some remnants of the terror group were being chased in a counter operation by government forces.
Currently, significant portion of the region including Metekel zone are being administered by the military rule and it is not clear why and how the latest attack was not aborted.
Administrator of Dangur district Desalegn Indris disclosed the delay in deployment of security forces in the area. He said the victims of the latest round of attacks were those people who were displaced from their areas due to previous attacks.
Government security forces have so far detained 391 suspects who participated in the continuing attacks, killing more than a total of 200 civilians.
State media out lets do not report the unfolding killings in the region for undisclosed reasons.
Similar attacks against Amharas were committed last July by Gumuz militiamen who killed 14 Amharas and wounded six others in Jadia Kebele, Guba District of Metekel Zone in Benishangul Gumuz region.
Join us on social media:
Like Ezega.com on Facebook and get Ethiopian News updates regularly.
Get the latest Ethiopia News by following us on twitter @Ezega_Official.
Follow Ezega on LinkedIn for Ethiopia Jobs and Ethiopian News Today.