4th International Trade Show Addis Ababa Ethiopia

Ethiopian Authorities Accuse WHO Chief of Backing the TPLF

By Staff Reporter

WHO-Director-GeneralNovember 19, 2020 (Ezega.com) -- Ethiopian army chief accused Director-General of the World Health Organization (WHO) Dr. Tedros Adhanom of backing the ‘dissident’ Tigray People Liberation Front (TPLF) to which he is a member and helping its fighters get weapons.

Chief of Staff of the National Defence Force Berhanu Jula said Dr.Tedros has been lobbying political and military support for TPLF by abusing his post as Director-General of WHO.

“Ethiopia’s ex-health minister has left no stone unturned and he has been insisting neighboring countries condemn the ‘government’s law enforcement operation’ in Tigray region,” Berhanu said.

Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, who was elected as Director-General of WHO in May 2017, also is accused of resisting the armed offensive by Ethiopia’s government against troops loyal to TPLF leaders.

Head of Ethiopia’s State of Emergency Task Force and State Foreign Affairs Minister Redwan Hussien blamed WHO Chief for failing or unwilling to get information about the matter from the government. The government is well aware that Tedros has done all his best to halt the law enforcement operations in Tigray and the government will take actions accordingly.

In a counter move against Dr. Tedros’ activities, the Worldwide Ethiopian Civic Associations Network (WE-CAN) which is an umbrella organization of over 57 civic groups from around the world, opposed a move by members of the US House and Senate to push for a ceasefire in Ethiopia’s Tigray region.

“It has come to our attention that certain members of the US House and Senate are preparing a letter requesting the Honorable Michael R. Pompeo, Secretary of State, to demand an immediate ceasefire in the Tigray region of Ethiopia, followed by a peaceful dialogue amongst all parties,” WE-CAN said in a statement.

It is regrettable that members of the US legislative bodies have been misled to pressure Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed to abandon his law enforcement responsibilities, despite the deplorable crimes committed by the Tigray People’s Liberation Front (TPLF). It is to be recalled that on November 4, 2020, the TPLF committed treasonous atrocities against the Northern Command of the Ethiopian National Defense Forces (ENDF), looting military hardware and massacring thousands of soldiers in a cowardly attack.

“We believe that the measures taken by the government of Ethiopia are justified and judicious, and as a purely internal affair, the US should desist from putting pressure on the Prime Minister. Instead, we call upon the US, as a longtime friend of Ethiopia, to play a more constructive role to help bring the criminals to justice swiftly, while minimizing collateral civilian casualties,” the statement reads

Meanwhile, at least 15 people were killed by gunmen in Konso zone and two neighboring districts of the South Nations Nationalities and Peoples State of Ethiopia, an official has said.

Konso Zone Peace and Security Department Head Hassen Welalo told the BBC Amharic Service that more than 70,000 residents have been displaced due to the recurring attacks in the zone.

The administrator of the Segen district Ketema confirmed that dozens of people were killed by the gunmen who also burned several houses in the district.

The Ethiopian and Disaster and Risk Management Office last month reported that 290 residential houses were burned down in the Ale district of the Konso zone alone due to conflict arising from land ownership rights.

_____________________________
Join us on social media:
Like Ezega.com on Facebook and get Ethiopian News updates regularly.
Get the latest Ethiopia News by following us on Twitter @Ezega_Official.
Follow Ezega on LinkedIn for Ethiopia Jobs and Ethiopian News Today.

Ezega

  Print





Contact News Editor

Name :
Email :
Phone :
Message :
ezega
Enter text shown in the above image :






You may also like...